[geeks] Let say you wanted a small, small, PC...

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Sat Aug 4 15:56:40 CDT 2007

>From: Jonathan Katz <jon at jonworld.com>
>Date: 2007/08/04 Sat AM 08:37:10 CDT
>To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [geeks] Let say you wanted a small, small, PC...

>I bet the Mini-ITX setup you're describing has some kind of price discount
>based on volume. Individuals don't buy that stuff, people who embed systems
>do, and they buy by the 1000's which can drop the cost 30-40% from
>single-unit retail.

Well, they intend to sell a billion of them, and at that quantity I guess the price could come down...

The system has a few quirks:

20 Pin power supply connector, with 4 pin P4 connector as well
no Floppy support
it is too tall for a standard "mini-ITX" case (heatsink/fan)

the box it came in is *very* small - it looks more like a cell phonebox than a MB

There are more powerful MBs in the sub-$100 category,but this is one of the few mini-ITX MBs with a modern chip (IMHO, but I've only looked casually)...

Lionel