[geeks] Let say you wanted a small, small, PC...

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Sat Aug 4 08:29:15 CDT 2007

I just saw this MB today, and thought it was an odd collection of compromises: http://support.intel.com/products/motherboard/d201gly/index.htm

It has:
On-board 1.33 GHz Celeron with 512K cache (pre-installed w/fan)
ONE DDR2-533 memory socket (up to 1 Gig RAM supported)
ONE PCI slot
ONE PATA connector
one 10/100 MB/sec Ethernet and usual I/O (PS/2, USB 2.0, audio, video)
It is low-power and it has a Mini-ITX board size (6.75" x 6.75")

I wondered what application it was designed for, then I saw that they say it is Designed for "Reaching the next billion users" (One Desktop Per Child?)...

The cost is $70 (Retail) - I wonder how the price would have changed if they went SATA instead of IDE? I'm gonna pick one up, it looks like an interesting MB (for example, as a MythTV "server" with a PCI tuner card and a big IDE drive or two)...

But, the cost doesn't compare with a pre-built Dell low-end box, really:

MB/CPU:     $70
Case/PS:    $40
1 Gig RAM:  $50
160 Gig HD: $40
DVD-R/W:    $40
           ----
Total:     $240 (with no keyboard, mouse, or O/S)

Dell has a Sempron 3600+ slimline system with O/S, keyboard, mouse and warranty for $349 that has nearly similar specs (CD-R/W DVD combo drive, not a DVD burner, 1 Gig RAM, 160 Gig HD)...

Lionel