[geeks] Marijuana Legalization

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Fri Aug 3 15:54:00 CDT 2007

>From: "Jonathan C. Patschke" <jp at celestrion.net>
>Date: 2007/08/03 Fri PM 12:41:57 CDT
>To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [geeks] Marijuana Legalization

>On Fri, 3 Aug 2007, Hicheal Morton wrote:
>
>> The Democrats of today do not want free speech; they ONLY want free
>> Democratic speech.
>
>Neither of the two large political parties in the US want free speech or
>freedoms of any kind.
>
>   * Both Clinton and Bush enforced "free speech zones".
>   * Both Clinton and Bush grew the BATFE.
>   * Both Clinton and Bush grew the IRS.
>   * "Nobody died when Clinton lied"?  Tell that to the Bosnians and to
>     all the other folks he bomed.

Like the night shift janitor at the aspirin factory he bombed ;^)

>   * Under Clinton, we had the "Telecommunications Decency Act".  Under
>     Bush, we have widespread censorship of libraries.
>   * Then we have this little jewel:
>
>     http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2007/07/20070717-3.html
>
>     The interesting bit is that it applies to people "...purported to
>     act for or on behalf of, directly or indirectly, any person whose
>     property and interests in property are blocked pursuant to this
>     order..."
>
>A couple of weeks ago, in Asheville, NC, a man was assaulted by a
>deputy for flying a flag upside-down.  A few weeks before that, a man
>sat in jail in Michigan because his yard wasn't green enough.

That has to be a local regulation (the green grass one, the flag thing could be an over-zealous ex-Boy Scout who know "the right way" to treat a flag and wants to educate everyone...

>The problem is a lot bigger than which political football team scores a
>touchdown in any given election.  They're both ate up with assholes who
>think we need more government and less personal sovereignty.

When I was in Engineering school (Waves to Hoboken, NJ!), there was a professor *famous* for his take on partial-credit - I quote:

"Bridge fall down, you want partial credit?"

Now, it seems, it is "Bridge fall down, you need to pay more taxes!"

Lionel