[geeks] Marijuana Legalization

Robert Brooke Gravitt gravitt at gmail.com
Fri Aug 3 06:43:18 CDT 2007

On Aug 3, 2007, at 1:25 AM, Bill Bradford wrote:

> Eh?  I've never done illegal drugs, ever.
>
> I hardly even drink beer.  Maybe a bourbon and Coke once every
> couple of
> months.
>
> Bill

I was thinking more along the lines of

* decriminalization of drugs - Sridhar
* protection of 2nd amendment - Bradford

Plus, you've got the NY angle, and the Texas demographic. Pretty
solid lineup.

For the record, I'm not a drug user either. But I think the "war on
drugs" is nothing but a feel-good waste of time. Incarcerating people
for crimes that are, for the most part, victimless and do not deprive
others of property, liberty or life- IMHO, is insane. It's cost us
billions, and drug use hasn't really appreciably dropped. Why not use
the money to treat the addicts and let the rest do what they want?
Isn't that what we do for alcoholics? I mean you have locked up all
the real criminals to be arresting kids smoking weed, right?

Oh, wait- I live in Atlanta, where they raid adult novelty stores to
make sure people can't buy dildos. I'm not kidding. You'd better make
sure people don't get stoned and buy dildos, cause the next step is
burning down buildings, right?

Heh.

What's funny is that on the NW side of the ATL, there's Kennesaw,
which is a little city that has an ordinance that *requires*
residents to own a firearm. Crime? Not so much. It's always been a
talking point here on local radio, with the detractors being hit back
with: "Would YOU be willing to put up a sign in your yard that says
'Gun-free home & proud of it!'   ?"

I have trouble finding a way to express myself politically-
Republicans? Like the ideas on lower taxes (well, pre-Bush. crazy
spender! ) but can't deal with the religious right. Democrats? I'm on
board with free speech issues and so on, but welfare? taxpayer funded
healthcare? war on the individual/guns? Get real. Libertarians?  90%
there, but no good in a fight.

RepubloDemoTarian?

--Brooke