[geeks] Second Life is not a game?

nate at portents.com nate at portents.com
Wed Aug 1 10:20:05 CDT 2007

>> makes it a game, just like visiting a poker table in Las Vegas ...
>> you would only need to claim the net winnings.
>
> I guess the stock market, and buying real estate, are games too,
> then. Hell, life's a game. Death's a game. Who cares anymore. If you
> people want to define everything as a game, then go ahead.
>
> Just don't expect the dictionary users out there among us to agree
> willingly.

Funny you should mention dictionary.

I think Second Life (like many other things, including all "games") is
actually a language.

I have a lot of ideas on this particular topic, but I think I'll leave it
at that.  I personally have some important reading to do since these just
arrived yesterday:

"Genes, Peoples, and Languages" by Luigi Luca Cavalli-Sforza

and

"The Origin of Consciousness in the Breakdown of the Bicameral Mind" by
Julian Jaynes

- Nate