[geeks] Starship troopers and others, was replacing an Ultra2

Caleb Shay caleb at webninja.com
Sun Apr 29 20:08:03 CDT 2007

On 4/29/07, Mike Meredith <very at zonky.org> wrote:
> On Sun, 29 Apr 2007 21:42:30 +0300, Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
> > On Sun, Apr 29, 2007 at 02:25:16PM -0400, Charles Shannon Hendrix
> > wrote:
> > > Starship Troopers... I'm still waiting and probably will be for some
> > > time.
> >
> > The DVD I have of it is TWO SIDED, not dual layer. It stops in the
> > middle and you have to get up and flip it. Or maybe not. It might
> > just be better if you turn it off at that point. :-)
>
> However bad you might thing Starship Troopers:Film was, it is a
> thousand times better than the sequel which I have on DVD. It is so bad
> I will not sell it because I donB4t hate anyone that much.

However bad you might think THAT is, save a copy of of the 1999
version of Beowulf starring Christopher Lambert for somebody who you
want to have suffer for all of eternity.  I was vaguely involved with
the creation of the horrible bastardization, but you can't blame it on
me and my name thankfully isn't in the credits.  When we got the final
version, we all watched it, and then the big boss asked us what we
thought.  I told him.  I didn't last there much longer.  In our
defense, the script did NOT say make it a post-apocalyptic sci-fi, and
it did NOT say fill it with scenes that border on soft-core porn (and
reuse said scenes at least 3 times in the movie without any editing
changes).  The director made those fuck-ups all on his own.  Casting
Christopher WAS our fault, but he really is a nice guy, and we seemed
to be his main income at that point (by we, I mean the company I was
working for at the time, Threshold Entertainment, also responsible for
inflicting the Mortal Kombat movies and TV show on the world).

Caleb