[geeks] Needed: PC com port adapter, motherboard -> backplate

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Sun Apr 29 16:13:31 CDT 2007

Sun, 29 Apr 2007 @ 13:49 -0500, Mike Hebel said:

> How new is the motherboard?  Can you get it from the manufacturer?

It's an Asus A8N5X, about 5 months old.  It's a year old revision.

I don't see the part on their website.

> Some of those damn things in the past have been proprietary wired.  If
> you've got the pinouts and a soldering iron you might be better off
> building your own.

It's not proprietary. It's a motherboard serial pinout that has been
around since the 80s. It's just a simple connector like most ribbon
cable connections.

Someone must make and sell these, and I just don't know what to call it.

I'm actually having a hard time finding a good source of PC backplane
parts. If I found a source of those kinds of parts, I'm sure they'd have
the comm port adaptor too.

Most places only carry a few odds and ends.

I could get what I want at the next computer show I guess. Just hate
paying to go there: computer shows just suck any more.

--
shannon           | Castles are sacked in war, Chieftains are scattered far,