[geeks] Race Tracks

Francois Dion francois.dion at gmail.com
Fri Apr 27 16:39:03 CDT 2007

On 4/27/07, Sandwich Maker <adh at an.bradford.ma.us> wrote:
> " From: Phil Brutsche <phil at tux.obix.com>
> "
> " Sandwich Maker wrote:
> " > liberty diesel, or home grown?
> "
> " 2005 Liberty CRD
>
> idle curiousity - what's the tranny and axle gear?
>
> " > only 28?  the renault-powered cherokees were rated 32.
> "
> " Different engine tuning.
> "
> " The Renault engine was a passenger car engine tuned for fuel economy at
> " the expense of power, the VM Motori CRD in my Jeep is a light truck &
> " industrial (agriculture) engine, and is tuned for massive amounts of
> " low-end torque at the expense of fuel economy.
>
> it might also be tuned for emissions - retarding injection reduces
> both nox and mileage.
>
> i'm not sure but what the renault wasn't used more in trucks and
> industry rather than cars, in europe - but that's neither here nor
> there.
>
> " Most 4cyl diesels make V6-levels of torque (220-ish lb-ft)... mine makes
> " V8 levels of torque (295 lb-ft).
>
> the smaller renault - 2.1 vs. 2.7 - also had [i'll bet] less boost and
> made only about 85 hp, 150 lb-ft.

The 2.5 XD3TE Peugeot of same era made 110hp and 195 lb-ft (you can
easily make an XD3TE out of a XD3T just swapping the intake setup
w/exchanger, XD3TE are really rare in the US). It is a "popular"
engine for Land Rovers. Most people didn't notice when the wastegate
actuator diaphragm failed and most owner actually were pleased to have
even more power, altough instead of outlasting the car, eventually
they would get a blown head gasket. torque was flat starting at 2000
rpm. Interestingly, the gas version with 2.1L made 210 lb-ft at
2500rpm and 180 hp. Torque on either is impressive because pretty
flat, and feels way more than the numbers would show (as the owner of
V8 american muscle).

But the point of the diesel turbo (XD3TE) vs the gas turbo (N9TEA) was
the fuel economy. Over 40 mpg. I only get about 26 on my 505 turbo
wagon (gas), but I'm running 1Bar and it is approaching 400,000
miles...

If you like flat out power, how about 1200 Nm, 515 KW:
http://www.conceptcars-peugeot.com/908_RC.html

Too bad it is just a concept car. But the engine is real, Peugeot is
using it in Le Mans. They have been using Diesel engines for
performance / records for a long long time. See also the 60s record
breaking 404:
http://www.grapa.net/peugeot404/404special.htm