[geeks] Race Tracks

Sandwich Maker adh at an.bradford.ma.us
Fri Apr 27 15:22:44 CDT 2007

" From: Phil Brutsche <phil at tux.obix.com>
"
" Sandwich Maker wrote:
" > liberty diesel, or home grown?
"
" 2005 Liberty CRD

idle curiousity - what's the tranny and axle gear?

" > only 28?  the renault-powered cherokees were rated 32.
"
" Different engine tuning.
"
" The Renault engine was a passenger car engine tuned for fuel economy at
" the expense of power, the VM Motori CRD in my Jeep is a light truck &
" industrial (agriculture) engine, and is tuned for massive amounts of
" low-end torque at the expense of fuel economy.

it might also be tuned for emissions - retarding injection reduces
both nox and mileage.

i'm not sure but what the renault wasn't used more in trucks and
industry rather than cars, in europe - but that's neither here nor
there.

" Most 4cyl diesels make V6-levels of torque (220-ish lb-ft)... mine makes
" V8 levels of torque (295 lb-ft).

the smaller renault - 2.1 vs. 2.7 - also had [i'll bet] less boost and
made only about 85 hp, 150 lb-ft.

" I think the weight difference might have something to do with it to, a
" CRD KJ is 4300lb-ish, a '85 diesel XJ was 3300lb-ish.

that's probably most of it.  a stripper xj would be even less than
that, as low as 2900-ish.  aero isn't that different.