[geeks] NEEDED: terminal for my Suns...

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Thu Apr 26 23:34:09 CDT 2007

On Fri, Apr 27, 2007 at 12:01:16AM -0400, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> That's besides the point though: what I mean is none of my equipment
> uses RJ-45, it all uses DB-25 serial ports.

RJ45F to DB25M/F and DB9M/F adapters are around 36 cents each on
monoprice.com - we bought a Lantronix 32-port console server at work
recently.  Lantronix wants $20 *each* for the RJ45 to DBx adapters.
For less than $75, I got enough "roll your own" adapters from monoprice
to last us indefinitely (50 each of DB25 M/F and DB9 M/F).

Ordering more than i needed turned out to help, when we found a Cisco
2511RJ (has 16 RJ45 ports on the back instead of a hydra cable) in a
junk pile and resurrected it to act as a console server for some "not
quite as important" boxes in order to get rid of a lot of 21" CRTs and
keyboards/mice in the datacenter.

Bill

--
Bill Bradford