[geeks] NEEDED: terminal for my Suns...

velociraptor velociraptor at gmail.com
Thu Apr 26 19:50:30 CDT 2007

On 4/26/07, Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com> wrote:
> Thu, 26 Apr 2007 @ 15:21 -0700, Mike Murphy said:
>
> > Cabling is ust an RJ-45 on each end of the light blue flat cable that's used
> > for cisco consoles. That's all that's necessary for the T105's. LOM on the
> > T1405 is the same, and the console for the T1405 uses a RJ45 female to DB-25
> > converter, easy from eBay. You can get all the parts at Fry's or equivalent.
>
> Parts like that are very hard to find where I live.
>
> They are cheap enough online, but shipping brings the cost up.
>
> This area has always had a lot of computers--in spite of basically being
> a large swamp--but has never had much of a used market or parts for
> them.
>
> > >The cable bundle costs as much as the unit on ebay, and that gives you
> > >RJ45 which you then have to convert to DB-25.
> >
> > That's the cable bundle for a 2511 (16-port). The 2509 (8-port) has RJ-45's.
> > Not so dense, but easier.
>
> Well, I saw a 2509 for $20, and the cable part for it was $20, this my
> comment about it being the same price. That's really not a problem, I
> was just commenting that the cable setup will cost more than the unit
> itself.

No special cables are needed--if you have a crimper and RJ45
connectors, you can turn any network cable into the correct pin-out.
> RJ-45 is smaller, so I can see why they switched. Hopefully you can keep
> the monkeys from cramming network cables into the RJ-45 serial ports.

They switched when most modems went away from DB-25--the 2905 is
intended for  modem banks.

> What I meant was does it give good speed without dropouts and other
> issues.

Yes they do.  We had tons of these things all over Cisco internally
for use with all our Suns, with IP aliasing set up.  I'm also pretty
sure, with the right IOS on them, you can have SSH v1 as well.  If you
have stronger security requirements, slap it behind some other highly
reliable host on a private network and use that as a bastion.  It
amazes me to find such craptacular lack of OOB access [0] in data
centers when the 2905 is so fscking cheap now.  Let me rephrase--it
just pisses me off.  The folks at last $gov_job had HEADS on all their
Suns.

=Nadine=

[0] Current $workplace has no OOB access at all.  We have two
craptacular Raritan KVMs (PS2 & non-network-accessible) that don't
work with our USB-only Dell servers & $cow-orkers didn't even realize
that the newest Dells have on-board OOB that requires no extra
licensing like HPs.  These geniuses are architecting the environment,
naught else needs to be said.  The suggestion that we get an
ssh-accessible KVM was met with "Oh, those are really expensive."
E.g. you're on salary, we could give a flying flip if you have to go
to the DC at 0200.