[geeks] NEEDED: terminal for my Suns...

Mike Murphy mrm at mole.org
Thu Apr 26 17:21:17 CDT 2007

Thu, 26 Apr 2007 15:42:26 -0400 Charles Shannon Hendrix said:

>Wed, 25 Apr 2007 @ 09:48 -0700, Mike Murphy said:

>> I use a cisco 2509 (8 async ports) as console for 4 T105's (2 w/ FreeBSD
6.1,
>> 1 Solaris 8, 1 Solaris 10) and as console and LOM for a T1405 (4 processor
and

>Neat little box.

>The only problem I see is finding cabling for them.

Cabling is ust an RJ-45 on each end of the light blue flat cable that's used
for cisco consoles. That's all that's necessary for the T105's. LOM on the
T1405 is the same, and the console for the T1405 uses a RJ45 female to DB-25
converter, easy from eBay. You can get all the parts at Fry's or equivalent.

>The cable bundle costs as much as the unit on ebay, and that gives you
>RJ45 which you then have to convert to DB-25.

That's the cable bundle for a 2511 (16-port). The 2509 (8-port) has RJ-45's.
Not so dense, but easier.

Only the T1405 console and the cisco 550x's need DB-25 in my setup and I had
enough of those laying around from other cisco stuff that I didn't even need
to go to Fry's. I end up using/losing the DE-9 adapters, but the DB-25
adapters just keep accumulating like wire hangers in the closet.

>Still, it is a lot smaller than my Portmaster.

I used to have trouble with Portmasters not having ears for rackmount. I
think. It was a long time ago.

>Does it work really well?

telnet c2500_ip_address 200n

gets you to async port "n" on the cisco. It works well enough that I don't
have to think about it much. I'd recommend it as a solution for serial
consoles. Plus you get 2 synchronus serial interfaces for your pair of T1's at
home ;-)

I have a 2811 with a NM-32A 32-port async sitting next to me as I type. Noisy
little bugger with fans that switch speed making it even more annoying than it
might otherwise be. It has the expensive cabling, too.