[geeks] NEEDED: terminal for my Suns...

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Thu Apr 26 14:40:10 CDT 2007

Tue, 24 Apr 2007 @ 13:50 -0500, Lionel Peterson said:

> >From: Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com>
> >Date: 2007/04/24 Tue PM 01:32:36 CDT
> >To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
> >Subject: Re: [geeks] NEEDED: terminal for my Suns...
>
> >Tue, 24 Apr 2007 @ 10:06 -0400, Andy Wallis said:
> >
> >> "Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote"
> >> #Now that the DEC is finally dead, I might as
> >> #well consider the possibility of getting something better.
> >> #Recommendations appreciated.
> >> Vecmar.com sells 3rd party VTs for  $200 and used IBM 3151s for about the same
> >> price. I can't vouch for them myself. Has abyone used then before?
> >
> >My terminal budget is about $30... :)
>
> I think shipping costs may require that number to go up a bit,

You have to remember that so far, I've gotten all of my terminals
locally, or found excellent deals online.

I used to get terminals from the military junk piles locally, but
several of them have tried up.  The junk shops are still there, but the
military uses Windows now and rarely uses terminals (which is a whole
'nother rant) so terminals are a bit more rare now.

Anyway, shipping UPS ground from the vendor you cite below is around
$18 for a 30-35 pound terminal, which is OK, as long as they ship good
stuff.

> but I found this - no exp. with the seller, and they are used, not
> refurbished (which I read as near new condition):
>
> http://www.new2u.us/merchant.mvc?

You have to love their motto:

	Delivering yesterday's technology tomorrow

Fits in with this crowd pretty well.

Have you ever dealt with them before?

> Several brands, plenty around your price point, but S/H may be high...

$70 is their default for a terminal, but you can change to UPS ground
for a much better rate.

> Also, I've had good luck picking up serial terminals at Ham Fests,
> typically $5/10 each...

We only have one Hamfest per year around here, in the fall, and it is
nothing like it was in years past.

I remember back in the 80s they were awesome.  Tons of computer systems,
terminals, even fairly large stuff.

Lot's of hackers in radio and computers doing all kinds of neat things.

Of course, that was back when user groups were interesting too.

--
shannon           | I wish life was not so short. Languages take such a time,