[geeks] Race Tracks

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Mon Apr 23 14:29:35 CDT 2007

Mon, 23 Apr 2007 @ 13:28 -0400, Sandwich Maker said:

> " From: Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com>
> "
> " I saw a woman on cell phone in a gigantic GMC "SUV" tear a phone off
> " the wall of a small store and keep right on going.  She was totally
> " oblivious to the outside world.
>
> that would be the gmc 'subdivision'...

Hah, that's pretty funny.  I'll have to remember that one.

Years ago there was a joke about new SUV called the "Ford Exponential"
or something like that. It came with two "auxillary" Ford Explorers that
could be launched from the rear while moving.

I'm almost afraid to laugh about it...

> this kind of distracted driving is already against the law.  why isn't
> there any enforcement of existing statutes?

It's difficult to catch people doing it.

Also, take some time to read your state's traffic law. It's too easy to
game the system if you know how it all works.

But in the end, I think the primary issue is revenue.

Speed related offenses are primarily punished through fines.  They
generate revenue.

Other offenses, despite being more dangerous than speeding, are
generally lower fines, and in some cases are primarily punished through
non-monetary means. They generate less revenue, maybe even cost the
government money to execute.

Take a wild guess which the politicians like best.

The result is that you can get an expensive speeding ticket even if you
weren't causing any danger at all, and you can endanger people all day
doing other things that are largely ignored.

It *is* changing a bit around there. In some ways cell phones have
resulted in more tickets for other bad behaviors, so I suppose some good
could come of it if people would wake up and use their police forces
properly.

> " Maybe you met one of those.
>
> i hope i never do, but i fear that would be impossible.

I would venture to say impossible.

What I really hate: being on a bridge with traffic stopped, and being
the last vehicle in the line of cars. You don't have anywhere to run to.

--
shannon           | It's a damn poor mind that can only think of one way