[geeks] Race Tracks

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Thu Apr 19 09:57:08 CDT 2007

>From: Phil Stracchino <phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net>
>Date: 2007/04/19 Thu AM 08:46:28 CDT
>To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [geeks] Race Tracks

>Lionel Peterson wrote:
>> Well, the folks that feel smug about the Prius aren't actually running the numbers. Instead they just, uhm, "know" that it's making a difference, just like they, uhm "know" that carbon offsets will make a difference, and that, "you know", man is going to *destroy* the planet.
>>
>> It's not about th emath, it's about the emotion...
>
>I've heard that the total-lifecycle environmental cost of a Prius is
>actually higher than that of a Hummer.

I saw that too, but think it's a bit dodgy - just because someone says that certain parts of the Prius your neighbor has originated in Canada at the (worlds worst) Nickel mine, then flown around the globe to return to North America in a car battery, doesn't mean it's true. I like to believe it's true, but the proof was rather thin...

Prius is about marketing, and that's fine.

I love the line " People are so concerned about the environment they'll do anything EXCEPT take a science class." Heard it quoted on a radio show, not sure of source...

Lionel