[geeks] Race Tracks

James Fogg James at jdfogg.com
Wed Apr 18 13:49:01 CDT 2007

> > Besides, with the Datsun SPL311 Roadster I can go from junkyard to
> > race ready for $3000, and that includes having a reasonably
> straight
> > body and fresh paint. And there ain't nothin like a tiny
> roadster on a
> > road coarse. I love the sound of it's dual side-draft SU's gulping
> > air, it's a thing of joy.
>
> You're talking to a former Austin-Healey/Triumph/Jaguar
> driver, and I perfectly understand.
>
> If you don't have one, you might like to get a copy of
> Vizard's "Tuning the A-Series" book.  IIRC, Datsun engine is
> close enough to a BMC B-series engine (which is, itself,
> basically a scaled-up A-series) that you'll find more than a
> few good ideas for improving reliability and performance.

I've leafed through that book, but the SPL311 was so popular on race
tracks, dominating D production even, that there are two famous tuning
books for them. I've always wanted to slip into a warm pool of British
roadster goodness, but the costs are crazy. For a while, a friend
financed a Porsche racing effort, and that was about the extent of my EU
experience.

There's a certain Alpha Romeo Spider Veloce with my name on it, but
that's another thread (and another headache). It was immaculately
restored and then lightly nose crashed. The owner lost heart and sold it
dirt cheap to a friend who finally admitted he won't ever do anything
with it. It'll be coming home, probably this summer.