[geeks] Race Tracks

Sheldon T. Hall shel at tandem.artell.net
Wed Apr 18 11:07:18 CDT 2007

James Fogg ...
> [somebody]
> > I'm rather a fan of large powerful sedans, as well, with a
> > 2000 BMW M5 being my daily driver, and my cone chaser.
> > However, due to the rediculous expense of road racing such a
> > beast, my race cars have been a 1991 Toyota MR2 (SCCA ITS)
> > and a 1985 VW Golf 8v (SCCA ITA).  I'm not currently road
> > racing due to job commitments (I travel 100%), but most of my
> > friends are road racers or autocrossers.
>

> I can't imagine slogging through a course with a heavyweight. Sidewall
> roll, body roll, inertial moment, CG, ugh. Just my opinion.

Heh.

Going fast in a big car is different from going fast in a little one, for
sure.  I've done both, and, frankly, I rather prefer the big'uns.
Well-set-up "heavyweights" can be remarkably rapid, and not just in a
straight line.

When I lived in Atlanta, and drove BMWs, my local BMW shop owner was quite
the performance nut.  His "Sunday car" was a Ferrari Dino, but his daily
driver was a 5-body BMW with, essentially, a 745i engine.  I.e. the 3.5
liter straight-six Dinan-ed to within an inch of its life.  Complete chassis
goose-up, of course.  Full roll cage, too, but also working A/C, stereo, and
car phone.  Gotta have A/C in Atlanta.

On a track day at Road Atlanta, I personally saw him lap the course at the
same speeds as the Formula cars.  I believe he was in the top-10 lap times
for the day, and the mix of vehicles there included everything you can think
of, from Morgan three-wheelers to Formula cars, serious big-bore SCCA racers
to a Dyna-Panhard roadster.

-Shel