[geeks] New Tech Schools: Digital Harbor in Baltimore

wa2egp at att.net wa2egp at att.net
Tue Apr 17 20:26:52 CDT 2007

> It might take 8 years if you missed some of the qualifications, but the
> base time period is 5 years less 90 days.
>
> 	Eligibility for naturalization
>
> 	To become a naturalized United States citizen, one must be at least
> 	eighteen years of age at the time of filing, a legal permanent
> 	resident of the United States, and have had a status of a legal
> 	permanent resident in the United States for five years less 90 days
> 	before they apply (this requirement is reduced to three years less
> 	90 days if they (a) acquired legal permanent resident status , and
> 	(b) have been married to and living with a citizen for the past
> 	three years.) They must have been physically present for at least 30
> 	months of 60 months prior to the date of filing their application.
> 	Also during those 60 months if the legal permanent resident was
> 	outside of the U.S. for a continuous period of 6 months or more they
> 	are disqualified from naturalizing (certain exceptions apply for
> 	those continuous periods of six months to 1 year)

Ah ha!  Five years before you can apply.  How long does it actually take
including the application process?  Maybe the person I talked to took 8 years
total time (at the time they came here).

> > Keep shuddering.  It's been three years and a day for as long as
> > I can remember.
>
> Seems most places make you wait at least 5 years, some quite a bit more.
>
> I think my college requires 10 years plus other qualifications.  It
> seems like there was a joke among staff about "10 year is tenure" or
> something like that.
>
> But, I can't remember for sure, and I'm too lazy to look it up right
> now.
>
> Aside: the staff at my alma mater got mad awhile back because complaints
> from some citizens and college workers triggered a requirement to post
> the salaries of everone making over $60K/year or something close to
> that.
>
> But the argument was that since they recieve both private and state
> funding, their salaries should be public information.
>
> The plotting of things like tenure versus salary was inevitable of
> course, and stirred up a lot of internal anger.

Well, in my district it is three years and one day for high school and
I believe that is for most NJ districts too.

Bob