[geeks] Race Tracks

Sridhar Ayengar ploopster at gmail.com
Tue Apr 17 19:17:19 CDT 2007

James Fogg wrote:
>> Anyone know of any road courses around that allow public
>> access?  The closer to New York, the better.  Hopefully one
>> that isn't too expensive.
>>   I'm looking to stretch my car's legs.
>

> Ah, yeah.
> Watkins Glenn & Lime Rock. Both famous.

They both have track days, but no public access.  And I've been to track
days at both.  And The Glen is nowhere near New York City.  It's in the
middle of nowhere.  Lime Rock is about fifteen minutes from here, but
again, no public access.

I'm talking about race tracks that allow pay-per-lap practices.

> Nobody allows "public" access. You have to belong to a racing
> organization and pass their training course. Trust me, if a novice
> "stretches their legs" they walk home. If you want "drive on & race"
> access try a drag strip on a Wednesday night (the usual choice for
> "grudge" night).
>
> Join the SCCA or a local group.

That's not what I'm talking about.  I participate in track days and
autocross.  I'm talking about something less formal, and I *guarantee*
there are racetracks that allow public access.

Peace...  Sridhar