[geeks] New Tech Schools: Digital Harbor in Baltimore

David Muran-de Assereto dmuran at tuad.org
Tue Apr 17 17:44:20 CDT 2007

On Apr 17, 2007, at 12:07 PM, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:

> Tue, 17 Apr 2007 @ 04:46 +0000, wa2egp at att.net said:
>
>>> That's not true.
>>
>> That's funny.  I was told eight years.  By someone who became one.
>> MAybe I got it wrong.
>
> It might take 8 years if you missed some of the qualifications, but
> the
> base time period is 5 years less 90 days.
>
> 	Eligibility for naturalization
>
> 	To become a naturalized United States citizen, one must be at least
> 	eighteen years of age at the time of filing, a legal permanent
> 	resident of the United States, and have had a status of a legal
> 	permanent resident in the United States for five years less 90 days
> 	before they apply (this requirement is reduced to three years less
> 	90 days if they (a) acquired legal permanent resident status , and
> 	(b) have been married to and living with a citizen for the past
> 	three years.) They must have been physically present for at least 30
> 	months of 60 months prior to the date of filing their application.
> 	Also during those 60 months if the legal permanent resident was
> 	outside of the U.S. for a continuous period of 6 months or more they
> 	are disqualified from naturalizing (certain exceptions apply for
> 	those continuous periods of six months to 1 year)

The application process takes at least a year after you meet the
eligibility requirements,
and can take significantly longer.
My wife and her sister were lucky, and got it done in just over 18
months,
no hitches in paperwork. I have a friend whose wife's application has
been
processing for more than three years because of some possible issues
with her family in her country of origin.

Dave