[geeks] New Tech Schools: Digital Harbor in Baltimore

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Tue Apr 17 11:07:19 CDT 2007

Tue, 17 Apr 2007 @ 04:46 +0000, wa2egp at att.net said:

> > That's not true.
>
> That's funny.  I was told eight years.  By someone who became one.
> MAybe I got it wrong.

It might take 8 years if you missed some of the qualifications, but the
base time period is 5 years less 90 days.

	Eligibility for naturalization

	To become a naturalized United States citizen, one must be at least
	eighteen years of age at the time of filing, a legal permanent
	resident of the United States, and have had a status of a legal
	permanent resident in the United States for five years less 90 days
	before they apply (this requirement is reduced to three years less
	90 days if they (a) acquired legal permanent resident status , and
	(b) have been married to and living with a citizen for the past
	three years.) They must have been physically present for at least 30
	months of 60 months prior to the date of filing their application.
	Also during those 60 months if the legal permanent resident was
	outside of the U.S. for a continuous period of 6 months or more they
	are disqualified from naturalizing (certain exceptions apply for
	those continuous periods of six months to 1 year)

> > Unless something has changed, citizenship only requires five years.
> >
> > Or are you saying that they can get tenure in less than 5 years?
> > (shudder)
>
> Keep shuddering.  It's been three years and a day for as long as
> I can remember.

Seems most places make you wait at least 5 years, some quite a bit more.

I think my college requires 10 years plus other qualifications.  It
seems like there was a joke among staff about "10 year is tenure" or
something like that.

But, I can't remember for sure, and I'm too lazy to look it up right
now.

Aside: the staff at my alma mater got mad awhile back because complaints
from some citizens and college workers triggered a requirement to post
the salaries of everone making over $60K/year or something close to
that.

But the argument was that since they recieve both private and state
funding, their salaries should be public information.

The plotting of things like tenure versus salary was inevitable of
course, and stirred up a lot of internal anger.

--
shannon           | We are all of us in the gutter, some of us looking at the