[geeks] New Tech Schools: Digital Harbor in Baltimore

Sandwich Maker adh at an.bradford.ma.us
Tue Apr 17 17:30:56 CDT 2007

" From: Micah R Ledbetter <vlack-lists at vlack.com>
"
" Ugh. At my school (University of Texas), at least one of the online
" "libraries" that we subscribe to does the encryption thing... it's so
" they can recreate the whole delightful experience of checking out
" books and then not being able to read them after a certain period of
" time - just like a real library! I think you could only get them for
" 24 hours at a time, and then you had to go back and do it again.
"
" I'm just sure that somewhere, they've even added the "feature" of
" allowing only a certain number of articles/books to be "checked out"
" at one time... so that only X number of "copies" are owned by the e-
" lib, then only that many people can view it at once. AAh! :)

my local public library system has recently added encrypted e-books.
if they didn't rely on windows drm i might actually look twice at
them...  i -think- they give you 3 wks, just like a real book loan.