[geeks] tax software rant

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Tue Apr 17 11:15:48 CDT 2007

Mon, 16 Apr 2007 @ 22:55 -0600, Dan Duncan said:

> My 2006 e-filing was rejected by the IRS because the number reported
> for my AGI for 2005 to sign the return did not match my actual 2005
> filing. I opened up Taxcut 2005 and looked and sure enough it doesn't
> match. The problem: Taxcut 2006 IMPORTED my 2005 return from Taxcut
> 2005! How could the AGI NOT MATCH? That's a pretty critical problem! I
> don't know what sort of chimps they use to test this software, but
> they need to train them a little better and/or beat them a little bit
> more.

Man, that sucks.

Could you not manually correct the AGI and then try again?

> Does anyone recommend Turbo Tax?

I've used it for 2 years now, and used it in the past.

I don't like the fancy interface, but it works on my Linux box just fine
(in spite of the warning), and it puts me through personal and class C
forms as quickly as can be expected.

So far it has never made an error for me.

It does have some annoyances now and then, but then so do the others,
and so did the guy who prepares my taxes now and then... :)

--
shannon /     Trouble rather the tiger in his lair than the sage amongst
-------'      his books For to you kingdoms and their armies are