[geeks] tax software rant

Phil Stracchino phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net
Tue Apr 17 07:11:18 CDT 2007

Dan Duncan wrote:
> My 2006 e-filing was rejected by the IRS because the number reported
> for my AGI for 2005 to sign the return did not match my actual 2005
> filing. I opened up Taxcut 2005 and looked and sure enough it doesn't
> match. The problem: Taxcut 2006 IMPORTED my 2005 return from Taxcut
> 2005! How could the AGI NOT MATCH? That's a pretty critical problem! I
> don't know what sort of chimps they use to test this software, but
> they need to train them a little better and/or beat them a little bit
> more.
>
> Does anyone recommend Turbo Tax?

In a word ..... no.  Last time I used TurboTax, I hated it.  The damn
thing was too busy "helping" me to let me get the job done, and when it
became convinced there were errors in the return, I had to jump through
nineteen different hoops to (a) bludgeon it into letting me fix the ones
that were errors, and (b) convince the damned thing that the others
weren't actually errors, just places where it had pulled in a form or
worksheet it didn't need.

--
 It's not the years, it's the mileage.
 Phil Stracchino              phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net
 Landline: 603-429-0220                Mobile: 603-320-5438