[geeks] New Tech Schools: Digital Harbor in Baltimore

wa2egp at att.net wa2egp at att.net
Mon Apr 16 21:22:08 CDT 2007

> Back to the original topic, California also has the teacher salary
> problem--several school districts in Silicon Valley, like Santa Clara
> were looking at how to do subsidized housing for them.  Of course,
> they also did a lot of recruiting out of state to get fresh graduates
> into jobs--fresh graduates with little understanding of the cost of
> living in the area.  There was a big multi-part feature in the Mercury
> News during the boom about married teachers having to have roommates
> to make ends meet, etc.

I saw an article about a "teacher" (really think she was an aide) who
was on public assistance because she didn't make enough to support herself
and her two sons.

> In Nevada, even though they have a teacher shortage, they will not
> hire you to teach unless you are a US citizen, though apparently they
> do have "career transition" programs for degreed folks moving from
> other professions to teaching so they can get their teaching
> certificate as they work.  Don't know the details.
>
> =Nadine=

Same in NJ.  We have a teacher who will probably not get tenure because
she is not a citizen.  What's weird is that you can't start the
citizenship procedure until you've been in the country longer than it
takes to get tenure (at least this is what I've been told).

Bob