[geeks] New Tech Schools: Digital Harbor in Baltimore

wa2egp at att.net wa2egp at att.net
Mon Apr 16 21:09:28 CDT 2007

> WTF "starts" at $60K? You have to have something more than an English degree and
> a fondness for small children to make $60K in NJ.

Not teaching jobs.  But I know of other "jobs" that start at that.

> Cost of living is outageous in NJ - agreed.
>

> Well yes, rich folks are a$$es, and they got what they deserved.
>
> I can't wait to see what happens if our teachers *demand* more than 4% raise for
> their upcoming contract. If they strike, the community will be up in arms -
> literally - and dig in their heels and the union will never see anything more
> than 4%... (IMHO, based on neighbors I've spoken with)

Well, if inflation is less than 4%, I could understand.

> >Yes, it does require different people to teach than to do other jobs.
> >I think insanity is a requirement. :)
>
> Funny, I thought is was the result of teaching...

Maybe mutual.  You need some to start and it just continues. :)

> My wife had a friend that went to a mid-level school here in NJ (Rowan College,
> not the best, far from the worst) and graduated with a teaching degree. Sent out
> 50 letters looking for a teaching job (one to each state board of education),
> and all said they were not hiring teachers. She decided that there were no jobs
> for teachers, and went into retail sales... I guess she didn't know we have over
> 600 school boards here in NJ that DO hire teachers every year... I think the
> students of NJ dodged a bullet with that one.
>
> Lionel

Urban districts are always looking.  I guess Camden or Trenton was not to
her liking.  Large turnover in most Abbott districts.

Bob