[geeks] New Tech Schools: Digital Harbor in Baltimore

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Mon Apr 16 14:43:51 CDT 2007

>From: wa2egp at att.net
>Date: 2007/04/16 Mon AM 11:55:52 CDT
>To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [geeks] New Tech Schools: Digital Harbor in Baltimore

<snip>

>> More importantly, unions and regulations protect teachers, even those
>> that absolutely suck. Most other workers have no job protection at all.
>
>Those were put in place when districts would hire a teacher for four
>or five years then fire them to hire a new teacher.

So now we have churn after two years, not five. When I was in the local HS (one year, then private - YAY), the kids were up in arms because they found out that their "favorite" teacher, a young fellow just out of college that really could relate to the kids was going to be let go at the end of the year. The story was (and I *choose* to believe it, I can't prove it, and it doesn't really matter at this point) that the district couldn't afford to take on more tenured teachers, so in certain "easy to hire" disciplines they choose to churn the teachers (I think he was an english teacher)...

Lionel