[geeks] New Tech Schools: Digital Harbor in Baltimore

wa2egp at att.net wa2egp at att.net
Mon Apr 16 10:50:50 CDT 2007

From: Phil Stracchino <phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net>

> Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> > The only way I'll ever support increases in teacher's pay, is if they do
> > three things at a minimum:
> >
> > 	- require a four year degree, and not in some trivial program
> > 	- classes specific to teaching are *extra* requirements
> > 	- teachers who don't perform or abuse the kids get canned,
> > 	  efficiently and without mercy
>
> And while we're at it, no more goddamned "zero tolerance" BS ....
>
> though that'smore of an administration-level issue than a teacher-level
> issue.  Still, if we hire teachers who know it's bullshit, sooner or
> later they'll displace the administrators who prop it up.

Zero tolerance is BS.  It's a sound bite for politicians.  In my town a
teacher was beaten up by three students.  The following week a student
punched out an assistant principal.  The Board is discussion whether the
students should be suspended.  The 0-T law in NJ says the students must
be removed and place in a "special" program in another building.  Yeah
right!

Bob