[geeks] New Tech Schools: Digital Harbor in Baltimore

Sandwich Maker adh at an.bradford.ma.us
Fri Apr 13 13:54:47 CDT 2007

" From: Lionel Peterson <lionel4287 at verizon.net>
"
" Kids haven't changed that much, IMHO - the expectations of the parents
" have. I went to see a speaker about the negative effects of competition
" in schools, and while most of his argument was (IMHO) BS, he made an
" interesting point - the majority of Validictorians that apply to
" Princeton University don't get in. How do those kids feel after
" sacrificing their childhood for a chance at "the good life" at Princeton
" feel when they can't even get in the door? To be considered a "loser" by
" their parents at 17 must be crushing - but I'm sure the parents of these
" kids would blame the school (but Johnny worked so hard, why can't he get
" in?)...

dunno about princeton, but when i interviewed at mit i was told they
-don't- like straignt-800-sat students - they're too narrowly focused
on book larnin' and test scores.

my aunt and uncle both went to, and met, at harvard - so naturally
their only son also had to go.  they took him out of the public school
he was happy in and ran him through a prep sch that did the job - but
he never -finished- harvard, and his story since then has been rather
sad.