[geeks] Vocabulary and grammar (was: New Tech Schools: Digital Harbor in Baltimore)

Micah R Ledbetter vlack-lists at vlack.com
Wed Apr 11 22:37:17 CDT 2007

Warning: long linguistics post ahead!

On Apr 11, 2007, at 21:01, Brian Dunbar wrote:

> I don't know linguistics.  But find a turn of the 20th century grammar
> level textbook.  The ones I've read are far more complex than what we
> hand high school graduates these days.  Or heck - high school kids in
> the college prep courses in MY day (80s).
>
> Big words - complex sentence structure.  It certainly feels like they
> had a larger vocabulary in the old days.

I don't want to get sidetracked from the original topic of public
education, the thus-far-expressed sentiment thereof with which I
generally agree, but well... this *is* geeks@ :). The only thing I
wanted to say was that complexity and vocabulary really aren't good
metrics for intelligence, or education (though in American/western
schools, it's often used as one), or the usefulness or advanced-ness
of someone's grammar. Here's why:

It's pretty easy to talk about large syllable words, because average
word size varies from language to language. (Example: in at least one
of the Hawaiian languages, there are only 3 vowels, so *all* their
words are very long.) That's not to say that perception of large
words vs small words isn't interesting - actually, it interests me a
lot!

In English, I have heard a theory on our perception of this which
sounds reasonable to me - words of Latin origin have a tendency to be
longer than other words in English (Latin, after all, had fewer
vowels sounds than English does). The Latin language was associated
with learning and the clergy, and hence, to use words of Latin decent
was seen as intelligent. Today, with less of an emphasis on Latin
proper, the association is simply with those "big words".

About complex sentence structure, I have two things to say. The first
is that, regardless of how English has been in the past, modern
English has a very complex sentence structure. (Example: possessive
apostrophe-s. "England's reputation" vs "The queen of England's
reputation" is something that X-bar theory is struggling/failing to
account for.) However, certain complexities will disappear and others
will appear for the first time as language evolves.

The other thing I have to say about sentence structure is that if a
structure is perceived as complex, it is likely *not* in the common
register, and therefore *not* a measure of the native tongue of the
speaker anyway. That is, if it's complex, it's not a measure of the
native intelligence of the speaker, nor of the superiority of the
language/dialect, but rather a measure of how unfamiliar the speaker
is with the language or dialect. Or, to put it a third way, all
language is complex, but if it is our natural language, we perceive
it as the easiest thing in the world, while all foreign speech,
complex or otherwise, is perceived as most unnatural.

If you read this far... thanks :).

  - Micah