[geeks] New Tech Schools: Digital Harbor in Baltimore

Sridhar Ayengar ploopster at gmail.com
Wed Apr 11 21:49:19 CDT 2007

Brian Dunbar wrote:
> Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
>> On Wed, Apr 11, 2007 at 12:53:57PM -0500, Brian Dunbar wrote:
>>> I'm more distressed about them teaching 'Word'.  Not a MS bias but
>>> observation that 'teaching office automation' usually involves
>>> memorizing 'how-to' run MS Office and not, say, the broad concepts
>>> behind the thing.
>> The unfortunate thing is that in a world where you can buy a computer
>> at a supermarket, Office automation is Word and Excel. Or to be generic
>> word procession and spreadsheets.
>
> No - you misunderstand.
>
> I have no problem with Word or Excel.  What I have a beef with is their
> teaching 'just' Word and Excel and not anything beyond that.
>
> PowerPoint is a good example.  The kids learned 'how' to put a
> presentation together in PowerPoint.  But it wasn't tied to anything
> like cites or research or even learning how to make a good presentation.
>
> It's like learning how-to operate a microscope - slide and sample
> preparation and how to twiddle the focus knob .. but getting zip about
> the wee bits you're looking at. What's the point?
>
> I'm biased - my oldest kids attended public schools.  My youngest are
> home schooled.  I can see the difference.

I wouldn't say that it's universal though.  I was fortunate to attend
very large, very wealthy public schools through my entire school career.
  Although there is a bit of that creativity-stifling going on, I found
that the students that showed interest and initiative were definitely
taught to a higher standard than those who didn't.

And, let's face it, public schools are less of an...  *ahem* sheltered
experience.  Gives you a dose of street smarts.

Peace...  Sridhar