[geeks] New Tech Schools: Digital Harbor in Baltimore

Patrick Giagnocavo patrick at zill.net
Wed Apr 11 20:47:59 CDT 2007

On Apr 11, 2007, at 8:49 PM, Sheldon T. Hall wrote:

> I can't gauge its authenticity, but ...

There was a reality show on UPN called "Amish in the City" where they
took Amish kids who were doing their "rumspringa" before they become
part of the church, and sent them to an LA house with an equal number
of "regular" kids, including the stereotypical wacked-out vegan who
thought cows were actually aliens from another planet.

The guy that I figured was the "dumb" Amish guy on the show, with only
an 8th-grade Amish education, takes the GED and scores 97-99% on all
the components.

So, there is some evidence that an 8th-grade traditional education
could be as rigorous as today's high school education.

Related note:  an older couple I knew in the church I grew up in, in
Canada, had an 8th grade education, but began investing and building
commercial buildings and learned how to read architect's drawings and
blueprints and do most of the other planning involved in building a
large nursing home facility.

--P