[geeks] Debian 4.0 Bittorrent for DVD

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Wed Apr 11 16:07:37 CDT 2007

Wed, 11 Apr 2007 @ 11:34 -0700, Nadine said:

> If someone would just make a decent Torrent client for the Mac or for
> Linux (e.g. on par w/uTorrent), I'd be happier.

Same here. The only really decent P2P application for Linux is
gtk-gnutella, and it's not ideal.

> Azureus is a lot better than it used to be but is still relatively
> piggish and has no schedule-based bandwidth management like uTorrent.
> I briefly tried a number of Linux torrent clients and managed only to
> get pissed off after deleting about of gig of data I was seeding
> because the default action of the app was to *delete all data
> associated with a torrent* when you removed it from the list of things
> being downloaded/seeded.

I use KTorrent, and it used to have that problem.

KTorrent works pretty well most of the time, but the UI isn't great, and
it is a pig like most KDE software.

One thing I really would like to see is gnutella(ish) and torrent
software that could run as a daemon in UNIX, and the UI was only needed
to get things started, and was free to disconnect and work would
continue without it.

It sucks to have downloads dependent on a GUI, especially if you like to
dual-boot your main GUI machine, or otherwise restart it.

mutella tried to do this, but the project has been abandoned.

> I still haven't decided how I want to get my fileserver machine with
> the toasted mobo IDE channel back on line.  It seems a waste to buy an
> add-on IDE card given the age of the machine, and I have no interest
> in spending the limited computer budget on another non-Mac x86 box.

I've been thinking of picking up one of the more decent PCs in the P4
range off of eBay.

I don't know much about them, but the Sony RBC 42x machines support up
to 2GB of RAM, have various P4 CPUs, and support 4 internal SATA drives.
They all seem to sell for under $200, in case that's within your budget.

Of course, new drives and more RAM drives the price up, but I've seen
them go at times for $40.

Most of the good ones seem to have dried up, but there are probably
other PC models that are decent enough to make simple servers.

Unfortunately, I always have built my own PC machines, so I don't really
know which brand name units are OK except in a few cases.

Huge hole in the industry: there is almost no public long-term quality
information on *ANY* kind of computer systems, from pocket calculators
to mainframes.

> The current idea is to get the SO a Mac Mini and convert his Windows
> box into a file server.  But the budget can't handle that at the
> moment, as there are other priorities--like a mesh armored motorcycle
> jacket for my daily commute and tuition/books starting next month.

I'm trying hard not to think of all the stuff that comes before what I
really want.

--
shannon /  Don't you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the
-------'   range of thought? In the end we shall make thoughtcrime