[geeks] Debian 4.0 Bittorrent for DVD

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Tue Apr 10 12:08:46 CDT 2007

On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 02:45:20 -0500
Phil Brutsche <phil at tux.obix.com> wrote:

> Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> > You also need a NAT box that can sense the random port and automatically
> > create a redirect for it, or respond to something like UPnP requests.
> >
> > How do you handle that?
>
> There exists a UPnP daemon that works with Linux and *BSD, Linux-IGD
> (http://linux-igd.sf.net).

Ah... somehow I thought UPnP was code for P2P clients to talk to standard
routing software.

Nevermind.

> Apparently it's in pkgsrc as linuxigd-current.
>
> Just be aware that UPnP is a security nightmare waiting to happen ;)
>
> Personally I "port-forward" TCP port 6881 manually.

Me too, and I think I'll continue doing that.

--
shannon / Asus A8N5X - Opteron 170 at 2.5GHz | But you know, a little Sun Ultra 1
-------'  2GB RAM - nVidia 7900GS         | is doing all the hard work...