[geeks] RS/6000 Disk clone

Andy Wallis rawallis at panix.com
Mon Apr 9 10:27:04 CDT 2007

On Mon, Apr 09, 2007 at 10:53:05AM -0400, Sridhar Ayengar wrote:

> bootable DVD image file, which can be copied over to another machine and
> burned onto a DVD.  You can do it with CDs too, but it's much easier
> with DVDs, since the mksysb image will likely be far too large for one
> CD-ROM.
That would be mkcd -S. It will create a mksysb file, then generate ISO images
of a bootable CD-ROM set. I've used it to bootstrap a NIM server to install
a legion of p615 and p630s in an isolated network. I think the B50s were CD
only. I do not know if a standard SCSI DVD-ROM will boot a B50 from a DVD.
There may be requirements in the firmware that have to be there in order to
boot from a DVD.

Note that the stock IBM DVD burners are DVD-RAM only and are finicky. They will
read DVD-Rs that are mastered elsewhere. I've used the mkdvd/mkcd -L command
to make large ISOs, burn it on a Windows box, and successfully restored
from it.

-Andy Wallis