[geeks] Say you wanted to...

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Mon Apr 9 02:38:57 CDT 2007

On Mon, Apr 09, 2007 at 12:22:20AM -0400, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> > I *threw away* ten 9G drives in Sun spud brackets (along with the rest of
> > the D1000) two weeks ago when I couldn't get anyone to come take it off
> > my hands.
> I can't imagine you throwing them away if they were any good.

They were perfectly fine, in excellent working order.  The D1000 worked
fine too.

Why did I throw it/them out?  I don't have the storage space to justify
keeping 9G drives anymore.  The spud brackets?  I have tons, they're not
worth the time needed to remove them from the drives before throwing
everything in the trash can.

The only thing worth keeping was the PCI SCSI controller.  That takes up
negligible space.

I tried for MONTHS to get someone to come pick up the D1000 full of disks -
no takers whatsoever.   It wasn't worth the time and effort required to pack
and ship it to someone.  I'm past the stage where I'll keep something "just
in case I need it later.." - all of my systems here have disks >= 80G, with
the biggest single spindle(s) being 320G.

I've got a couple of Ultra 10s (that I personally own) at work, one with
1G RAM and SCSI DVDROM/HD, the other with 768M and IDE, that are getting
near the "if nobody wants these, they're going with the next scrap run"
stage.  Originally the all-SCSI box was my Solaris10 testbed, but I get
just as good results from a Solaris 10/x86 instance on VMWare lately and
have less heat and noise in the office.

At home, I'm down to three computers on 24/7 (the iMac desktop, my wife's
Windows PC,  and the Dell SC420 running Solaris x86 that does my backups).
My Windows gaming machine hasn't been turned on in over a month, and the
Alpha 164LX system won't be fired up for a few months (no time to play with
it).

Bill

--
Bill Bradford