[geeks] Say you wanted to...

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Sun Apr 8 23:22:20 CDT 2007

On Sun, 8 Apr 2007 15:06:39 -0500
Bill Bradford <mrbill at mrbill.net> wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 07, 2007 at 11:58:10AM -0400, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> > For example, I got a fairly new 9GB Fujitsu Enterprise for my Ultra 1 as a
> > surprise one day when a search fired off for one with under an hour to go,
> > buy-it-now, and under $20.  No one had wanted it, so I snapped it up for
> > about $10.
>
> I *threw away* ten 9G drives in Sun spud brackets (along with the rest of
> the D1000) two weeks ago when I couldn't get anyone to come take it off
> my hands.

I can't imagine you throwing them away if they were any good.

For a RAID, I need 36GB, < 2 years old and in great condition, and quiet.

Too many SCSI drives that are giveaways or cheap are old and/or noisy.

I mentioned getting a 9GB drive.  I also got a couple more.

However, I had to throw 5 out that I got in the last year because they were
dead, dying, or too noisy.

Every time I get a lot, half of them are bad.

--
shannon           | The trade of governing has always been monopolized by the