[geeks] Personal Finance Software

Sat Apr 7 00:58:20 CDT 2007

> Right now, I keep track of my personal finances through a giant
> custom spreadsheet, but it's starting to get a bit, let's say,
> *unwieldy*.

> Does anyone know of any personal finance software for any of the Open
> Source OSes?  If the software is also Open Source, more the better.

Well, there's the one I wrote (and use), but I don't know whether it
does what you want; I don't know what "personal finance" software
traditionally covers.

Mine is really just a flat-file database storing transactions to and
from various accounts, which may match bank accounts or may be other
things - for example, I have a "cash" account and accounts for those of
my friends with whom there is money owed one way or the other.  I have
cron jobs which create emtries for recurring fixed payments like my
condo fees, and programs which do things like "pick out the entries
involving the `fred' account that were made between 2006-12-01 and
2007-02-15" or "show me the totals for my various accounts".

It expects to be on a Unix variant and is designed for use on a
terminal or in a terminal window.  It is lacking some capabilities if
you're contemplating its use by someone who is not prepared to learn
the text record format and manipulate them with a text editor.

I'll be happy to send a copy to anyone who wants; if I get lots of
requests (ha!), I can even put it up for ftp.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML	       mouse at rodents.montreal.qc.ca