[geeks] Interesting: hardware security token for PayPal

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Wed Apr 4 10:08:45 CDT 2007

Tue, 03 Apr 2007 @ 22:28 -0500, Lionel Peterson said:

> >From: Dan Duncan <danduncan at gmail.com>
> >Date: 2007/04/02 Mon AM 12:21:20 CDT
> >To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
> >Subject: Re: [geeks] Interesting: hardware security token for PayPal
>
> >On 4/1/07, Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com> wrote:
> >> How long would the card last in typical use?
> >
> >I've had my RSA SecurID for over 2 years now.  I've never had a single
> >problem with it
> >or had to have it resynced or anything.  They do recommend we try to
> >log in at the top of the minute (it has a little bar graph that counts
> >down to the next minute) which would provide a slight fudge factor if
> >the clock drifted a bit.
>
> When I used one years ago I seem to recall there was a bit of overlap, where
> the previous minute's number would still work for the first 5-10 seconds on
> the following minute, to allow for slow links...
>
> I've got one from an old job, going on three years ago, and it still works
> fine, but since I'm not there anymore, I can't test it ;^)

I was mainly interested in how long they last before they stop
repeating.

Geoffrey mentioned (I think, I'm lost in the thread now) having a card
which never repeated.

So, I was wondering how long the sequence of numbers lasted, not how
long before the card died.

--
shannon           | The trade of governing has always been monopolized by the