[geeks] Interesting: hardware security token for PayPal

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Tue Apr 3 22:28:30 CDT 2007

>From: Dan Duncan <danduncan at gmail.com>
>Date: 2007/04/02 Mon AM 12:21:20 CDT
>To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [geeks] Interesting: hardware security token for PayPal

>On 4/1/07, Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com> wrote:
>> How long would the card last in typical use?
>
>I've had my RSA SecurID for over 2 years now.  I've never had a single
>problem with it
>or had to have it resynced or anything.  They do recommend we try to
>log in at the top of the minute (it has a little bar graph that counts
>down to the next minute) which would provide a slight fudge factor if
>the clock drifted a bit.

When I used one years ago I seem to recall there was a bit of overlap, where
the previous minute's number would still work for the first 5-10 seconds on
the following minute, to allow for slow links...

I've got one from an old job, going on three years ago, and it still works
fine, but since I'm not there anymore, I can't test it ;^)

Lionel