[geeks] HD/IDE question

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Fri Sep 29 06:27:22 CDT 2006

>From: "Jonathan C. Patschke" <jp at celestrion.net>
>Date: 2006/09/26 Tue PM 08:21:42 CDT
>To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [geeks] HD/IDE question

>On Tue, 26 Sep 2006, Lionel Peterson wrote:
>
>>> How come your email comes across in multi-hundred character lines?
>>
>> Because your mail client doesn't break them up. I don't impose a line
>> limit on my emails, I defer to your choosen mail client, window, size,
>> etc...
>
>http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2646.txt

First off, that someone sat down and wrote a 12 page document becuase he was annoyed at line length in text emails is (somewhat) amazing to me...

Second, I have changed email clients (at times I've used Outlook, at other times my ISP webmail client - currently using my ISP webmail client), so the differences may be there...

Finally, I don't consider that RFC binding, as far as I am concerned that RFC has way too much logic in it for such a simple problem. It essentially says that I should specify "flow" in a header field, and that I "should" limit line length to between 72 and 79 characters, and that based on the header line setting ("flow" or "fixed") any client that gets my email and can not handle lines between 72 and 79 characters in lenght will apply the rules laid out in the RFC to attempt to display the message in a "sane" manner... Couldn't that all be resolved by the viewer including a wrap/no-wrap setting for email display?

Finally, just to cite another RFC:

http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1149.txt

Lionel