[geeks] Poeple misusing a domain name to send spam ...

Michael C. Vergallen mvergall at pandora.be
Fri Sep 29 02:33:32 CDT 2006

der Mouse wrote:

>>Like this : people send an email to xxxx at michaelvergallen.com the
>>domain I own but the user doesn't exist so the mail gets bounced back
>>however because the people who send the mail don't use real email
>>addresses they get bounced to postmaster at michaelvergallen.com
>>

>The best thing to do is arrange to reject at SMTP time rather than
>accepting everything and bouncing later if the user doesn't exist.
>That way, the bounce, if there is one, is generated by the sending
>host.  (There usually won't be one, since the spam is probably coming
>from a botnet zombie, and those things don't generate bounces for
>rejected mail.)
>
>sendmail normally does this; I have no idea why your setup isn't doing
>it.  But that's the place I'd recommend looking.
>
>/dev/nulling the mail is a very bad idea.  Anything that will make mail
>to a typo silently disappear is just breaking email even further.

You're right I've asked the admins at the hosting location to add some
options to do this and they did this ...
they have 2 options added to the setup ...one that black holes the stuff
and an other that just rejects it if it is
undeliverable... I've chosen option 1 for the non mx record hosts and 2
for the mx listed host... but now you
mentioned it i'll just change them all just to reject the mail if the
user is unknown.

Thanks,

Michael.

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type text/x-vcard which had a name of mvergall.vcf]