[geeks] Poeple misusing a domain name to send spam ...

Fri Sep 29 02:13:56 CDT 2006

> Like this : people send an email to xxxx at michaelvergallen.com the
> domain I own but the user doesn't exist so the mail gets bounced back
> however because the people who send the mail don't use real email
> addresses they get bounced to postmaster at michaelvergallen.com

The best thing to do is arrange to reject at SMTP time rather than
accepting everything and bouncing later if the user doesn't exist.
That way, the bounce, if there is one, is generated by the sending
host.  (There usually won't be one, since the spam is probably coming
from a botnet zombie, and those things don't generate bounces for
rejected mail.)

sendmail normally does this; I have no idea why your setup isn't doing
it.  But that's the place I'd recommend looking.

/dev/nulling the mail is a very bad idea.  Anything that will make mail
to a typo silently disappear is just breaking email even further.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML	       mouse at rodents.montreal.qc.ca