[geeks] HD/IDE question

velociraptor velociraptor at gmail.com
Tue Sep 26 10:45:29 CDT 2006

On 9/26/06, Phil Stracchino <phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net> wrote:
> Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> > Tue, 26 Sep 2006 @ 10:23 -0400, Sridhar Ayengar said:
> >> I agree that ext2 appears to be the only choice.  I haven't tried it
> >> under Windows yet, but it works fine under NetBSD.
> >
> > Just one caveat: I've found that Windows is very slow xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> > xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>

> There, I fixed that for you.  :)

Well, I guess it's easy to fix Windows if you just cross it out. :-D

Truth be told, if my dance pad worked on the Mac with Step Mania (aka
"geek exercise"), I might even forego Windows at this point.  That and
Diablo II are the only games I've played lately, aside from Nethack on
my PocketPC (which is an excellent formfactor for keeping the OCD
quality of Nethack in check).

I don't think the ext2 speed issue under Windows will be of much
concern to me.  I'll probably do this:

Dual boot:
  80GB (smallest disk I have):
    Windows->NTFS (smallest partition I can get away with)
      Save Games, Documents and Settings (relocated)->FAT32 (remainder)
  200GB (good disk from original boot mirror)
    Kubuntu/xubuntu->ext3 with partitioning to protect "keeper" data
from rebuilds, i.e.
      separate home dir partition

I might also put FreeBSD on the 200GB, as it has 3Ware drivers, and
I've not used it in a while.

Is it possible to "encapsulate" Linux boot & and root partitions
after-the-fact as it is with Sun Volume Manager?  I haven't worked
with software RAID on Linux at all.

Migrating the data on the 3Ware RAID 5 partition will be the biggest
pain.  I'm going to use the opportunity to clean up the data and
re-organize it--I know I have a lot of duplicate files due to
willy-nilly copying of things in the past in lieu of real backups.

=Nadine=