[geeks] source code indexer

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Mon Sep 25 19:25:00 CDT 2006

Tue, 26 Sep 2006 @ 01:39 +0200, Olaf Mersmann said:

> > - Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com> [060926 01:20]:
> > To clarify, I'm not looking for source management and browsing, I'm
> > looking for something to index a library of code that I use as a
> > reference.
>
> If all you're looking for is a good fulltext search engine, maby
> Hyper Estraier (http://hyperestraier.sourceforge.net/) fits the bill.

Well, sort of.  I want that but I also wanted it to know enough about
various languages to pull out symbols, and maybe search comments
specifically for when that's useful.

This could form a part of what I want though.

> > I should probably write it myself.
>
> You could possible write a custom gatherer for it, which adds context
> to some words i.e. 'this is a function name', 'this is a variable'.

Yeah, that might do the trick.  I might could even use existing source
symbol extractors and avoid a lot of work.

> What's missing from all these full text search engines is line number
> information, so once you have the matching files, you'd still have to
> grep them...

True...

In any case, I've also been looking for a document indexer, so I'll
probably take a look at Hyperestraier even if I don't use it for source
code.

I tried swish, but it ate 1.5GB of memory indexing 700MB of PDF files,
and I gave up on it.

Does anyone know whatever happened to the GUI front-end to glimpseindex?

Or was it commercial only?

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- [There is a limit to how stupid people really
are -- just as there's a limit to the amount of hydrogen in the Universe.