[geeks] FYI - great HP printer tech support page

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Sat Sep 23 17:25:33 CDT 2006

Sat, 23 Sep 2006 @ 20:40 +0300, Geoffrey S. Mendelson said:

> On Fri, Sep 22, 2006 at 03:26:38PM -0400, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> > So far, I've had good luck with HP technical information and support.
> >
> > There are a lot of things they do I don't like, but I do usually find
> > what I need from them, either on their website or by calling them.
>
> A long time ago, DEC made an ehthernet 10/100 chip set and a PCI card with
> it. They had on their web site the drivers for MacOS 7 and 8, OS 9 included
> them.
>
> When Compaq bought DEC they kept the drivers.
>
> When HP merged with Compaq, they kept the drivers. In typical HP style,
> they made them hard to find, but they are still there. No mater what
> people say about HP in the last few years, their on line support has
> been excelent.

Yep.

There *was* a rather bad downturn in the Carly period though.

Also, I've never liked a lot of their PC products, and their inkjets
suck just like everyone else's.

I also lament the decision to "cheapen" their flagship calculators.  The
new HP series is significantly more cheap and flimsy than the old HP48
line and earlier.

Of course, I suppose few people these days would care.

(reaches over and pets his 13 year old HP48GX)

> When I called HP Israel for a microcode update to a 3 year old CD-ROM burner,
> they spoke to me in English, and sent me for free a CD ROM with it and a whole
> bunch of other usefull files.

The last time I called tech support for IBM I got a combination of
hindi and Engrish.

The funny thing is a "manager" joined the conversation to try and help.

It didn't, because he and the tech couldn't understand each other
either.

Sigh...

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- [governorrhea: a contagious disease that
spreads from the governor of a state downward through other offices and his