[geeks] Solaris 10 networking is giving me fits

Fri Sep 22 22:31:18 CDT 2006

>> I think it was the Circuit City UNIX test I took that asked me what
>> kind of garbage collection algorithm the C library malloc() routine
>> used.
> Oooh!  Evil enough for me to like [...]

Yeah, my answer would be something like "That's implementation
dependent; none of the implementations I know have anything it'd be
fair to call garbage collection, and the interface doesn't support real
garbage collection, though I suppose returning dead pages to the OS
could be seen as garbage collection...".

One colleague of mine once showed me a list of interview questions for
sysadmin/programmer positions.  They were things like

	What umask value would prevent anyone but you from reading,
	writing or executing your files?

(This would, in most cases, draw an answer from me like "the answer you
want is 077, but it's wrong - you can set your umask all you like and
it won't make a damn bit of difference to who can read or write
anything not newly created".)

There was also one

	You send a process SIGKILL, but when you check with ps it's
	still there.  Excluding the possibiltiy of OS bugs, how can
	this happen?

that was particularly interesting because my list of answers and his
list of answers were almost disjoint - but all perfectly valid.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML	       mouse at rodents.montreal.qc.ca