[geeks] encrypted video cable?

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Tue Sep 19 23:50:10 CDT 2006

Tue, 19 Sep 2006 @ 13:18 -0400, Joshua Boyd said:

> On Tue, Sep 19, 2006 at 12:08:49PM -0400, Sandwich Maker wrote:
>
> > so in this case the hdmi monitor must have decryption ckts/sw?
>
> My understanding is that it is entirely possible to have HDMI monitors
> that don't support encryption.  I think such monitors exist, but I could
> points out which specific ones are that way.  It's not like it is
> impossible to get TMDS drivers/recievers and HDMI connectors along with
> a large FPGA and a OpenLDI flat panel to build your own HDMI w/o
> encrpytion monitor.  And if you think that people don't built their own
> monitors in small lots, think again.

It won't matter.

If content ownsers are successful in getting the deal they are pushing
right now, new content will only be available on media requiring
compliant devices.

That's what the fight over blu-ray is all about, for example.

Hollywood and Senator Disney want Blu-Ray to be totally locked up and
remotely controlled.

It won't just affect videos either: it will affect your ability to use
it as data storage because pragmatically useful data storage is a threat
to media protection.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["It's a damn poor mind that can only think
of one way to spell a word." -- Andrew Jackson]