[geeks] encrypted video cable?

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Tue Sep 19 10:49:54 CDT 2006

On Tue, 19 Sep 2006, William Kirkland wrote:

> I am interested in how "encrypted video cables" work.

They move data from one end to the other.  In this case, the data
happens to be an encrypted video stream.

> Do these "encrypted video cables" have active components? or are they
> just cables with a high copper count which are undocumented?

They're just cables.  My Ethernet cable is an "encrypted shell" cable,
also an "encrypted web" cable.

> It is my understanding that encryption also requires decryption. So,
> how does that work?

The devices on either end know what to do with the datastream, as usual.

--
Jonathan Patschke ) "The ruler demands gifts, the judge accepts bribes,
Elgin, TX        (   the powerful dictate what they desires--they all con-