[geeks] Solaris 10 networking is giving me fits

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Tue Sep 19 09:29:36 CDT 2006

>From: velociraptor <velociraptor at gmail.com>
>Date: 2006/09/19 Tue AM 08:38:23 CDT
>To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [geeks] Certifications (re-named)

>On 9/18/06, Dan Duncan <dand at pcisys.net> wrote:
>> Years ago I heard the Microsoft certs (which I never had any interest in
>> taking, because I wouldn't want to support that) were famous for this.
>> If you didn't give THE Microsoft answer, you were simply wrong.
>
>Not M$, but a good example: the A+ cert test in the early 90's said
>you could not low-level format SCSI drives.  Funny, I'd been doing
>that ever since Mac's *had* HDs.  So, certifications...not so much.

Certifications prove you passed the certification, nothing more - anyone that puts any more emphasis behind it does so at their own peril. That said, some Certs are very well managed - I especially like the way Red Hat had their certifications set up, which involved real-world scenarios involving real hardware and software in front of you. Don't know if that's still how they do it, but that made sense to me... Much like how I learned Solaris - I walked into a room with 16 IPX and LXs, with one CD-ROM drive. Starting with bare metal we built those machines up to usable desktops, including automounted home directories, NFS file shares, user accounts, etc. It was an Intro to Solaris class, and as we bumped into new topics we explored them before moving on (for example describing IP networking when the install software asked if the machine was networked).

Lionel